I am: Arthur C. Clarke
Well known for nonfiction science writing and for early promotion of the effort toward space travel, his fiction was often grand and visionary.
- I’ve noted before that a significant number of lawyers not only to deny evolution but also appear to think that their training as a lawyer enables them to adjudicate scientific “controversies” (real or percieved).
- Some quick blasts as it’s mid-week, I’m busy, and probably wont do much blogging until the weekend.
- Still busy here.
- I seem to have annoyed someone by the moniker of ‘dlamming’, apparently a graduate student who is interested in yeast.
- This more or less encapsulates everything that is wrong with this country.
- As I expected, Ed comments on the Washington online poker law that I posted on yesterday, and raises an interesting point.
- The Lynch Euro 2006 tour is over.
- As I type this, votes are being counted in Kansas in primaries for the State Board of Education.
- “Talking in bed ought to be easiest” [This was a Friday Poem]
- I’ve been kinda quiet the past few days as I have been part of a team hosting Bernie Lightman (a noted historian of Victorian science) here at ASU.
- It the first morning of the HSS meeting here in Vancouver and as usual I spent yesterday evening reconnecting with people.
- Today in 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city’s racial segregation laws.
Obviously February and March were a bit busy and October & November were work-related, but oveall this encapsulates a lot of what happened this year.
|Your Political Profile:|
|Overall: 10% Conservative, 90% Liberal|
|Social Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal|
|Personal Responsibility: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal|
|Fiscal Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal|
|Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal|
|Defense and Crime: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal|
As usual, GrrlScientist made me do it. I agree with her in that the questions are a little too simplistic.
|You Are 16% Capitalist, 84% Socialist|
|You see a lot of injustice in the world, and you’d like to see it fixed. As far as you’re concerned, all the wrong people have the power. You’re strongly in favor of the redistribution of wealth – and more protection for the average person.|
No surprises here. The Political Compass puts me at Economic Left/Right: -9.5 / Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31 and the World’s Smallest Political Quiz sees me as being a “Left Liberal” (a group who “generally embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but support central decision-making in economics. They want the government to help the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Liberals tend to tolerate social diversity, but work for what they might describe as ‘economic equality.’”)
so I have no idea of the significance of this. GrrlScientist made me do it.
|You Belong in Soho|
| Although you may not be a professional artist, you do dabble in one form of art or another.
And you indie culture of all kinds – from little botiques to art house films.
73 % Nerd, 26% Geek, 30% Dork
For the record, Jake is 86% nerd, Razib 82%, Bora 65%, Dave Munger 86%.
Following a tagging from Janet:
Five random quotes from here that “you think reflect who you are or what you believe.” As Janet did, I just picked the first five that seemed to work … no point in searching the whole database.
Busy week here. Teaching starts next week, so this is full of organizational meetings, retreats, syllabus writing, xeroxing, etc. And to top it all, I’m currently laid out with lower back pain. Argh!
Blogging will thus be sporadic for a while, and in lieu of anything significant to say …
You are Hulk: you are a wanderer with amazing strength.
Click here to take the Superhero Personality Test
Here we go again:
Thoughts below the fold.
Grrlscientist asked. I answer:
I too had taken this before. I seem to remember having got a slightly lower score. Must be the extra memory in my new laptop :)
A few months ago I passed eighth grade math. Now I’ve gone and passed eight grade science. I feel so accomplished :)
You Passed 8th Grade Science
Congratulations, you got 8/8 correct!
Oh, and question 6 shoud read neutron not neuron.