The Beloit College Class of 2011 Mindset list has been released. It features aspects of the worldview of 18 year-olds in the fall of 2007, i.e. those born in 1989. Some things that make me feel old:
- What Berlin wall?
- They never “rolled down” a car window.
- They have grown up with bottled water.
- Russia has always had a multi-party political system.
- Tiananmen Square is a 2008 Olympics venue, not the scene of a massacre.
- MTV has never featured music videos.
- The space program has never really caught their attention except in disasters.
- The World Wide Web has been an online tool since they were born.
1989 was a big year. I graduated with a B.Sc in Zoology and entered graduate school. On my 21st birthday, I watched the crackdown on the Tiananmen Square protests. That November, we saw the Berlin Wall come down. My Dad and Grandmother died. Big year.